Thursday, January 6, 2011

Back to work

Since moving to Indiana the finances just have not been in order (story of everyone's lives, right). After much contemplation, we decided that it would be best for our family if I went back to work part time. I was okay with the idea. It's no surprise to anyone that I love my job, but part of me felt a bit hesitant because one of the big reasons for moving out here was so I could be a stay at home mom. I thought about it a lot, and this is what I concluded: I could stay home every day and be bored and poor, not being able to afford to do anything fun with my kids like soccer, or museums, or the zoo, or even McDonalds for cryin out loud... Or, I could work part time and give my kids the opportunity to do more. I guess you figured what I picked. I applied for a few jobs, with no response. I was getting a little frustrated because I feel like I have great work experience and was surprised to not hear back from them. Then right before we left to Utah for the holidays, a job was posted for part time every other weekend and two 6 hour shifts during the week. Alright, this sounds like it could be good... so I applied. I got a call the next morning and interviewed the next day. That interview went great, and she immediately scheduled me for a second and final interview. I found out there were over 40 applicants for the position! Crazy! So we headed out to Utah and I got a call New Years Eve from Human Resources offering me the position! HOOORAAYYY! I was so excited, and the best part, the pay is great, almost $3.00/hr more than I made in Utah! I will be working at an Urgent Care facility, which will be different from the Hospital setting I am used to, but the xray techs there do a lot more than just xrays. I am excited to broaden my skills in the medical field. As far as childcare, we have it pretty much figured out... Andy will be home for the every other weekend shift (8-5) and then he will be able to work half day at home once a week when I work the 2-8 shift, and we just hired a nanny to come to the house on the other day when I work 8-2! It's nice to know that my kids will still be with me and Andy most of the time, and not needing to be placed in day care! The whole goal of me working is this: SAVE MONEY. We decided that if I went back to work it would be temporary, and that's the plan. We are hoping to use the money to pay off a little debt, save, and then once that's done I can hopefully just go PRN and work occasionally after that! I will admit, I am excited to get back to work, it will be a nice break and a good place to socialize and hopefully make some new friends too!!

1 comments:

rachel june* said...

good for you! it sounds like the perfect fit!! i always said i'd love to work a day or two a week just to get out of the house. lucky you got great skills :)