Monday, May 17, 2010

The scariest day of my life

This morning I had a horrible experience that will stay with me forever. I decided to go out on the Jordan River Parkway trail this morning with Claire in the stroller and Dallin on his bike. Since we live so close, we walked over. When you get to the entrance of the parking lot there is a HUGE hill that takes you down into the parking lot. I went first with the stroller and when I got to the bottom of the hill (this was the first of two hills) I noticed Dallin was struggling while trying to walk his bike down the hill. I set the stroller into a little divit and turned to go walk up the hill to help Dallin. Well, that was the biggest mistake of my life, and I cant believe I did that. YOu always hear of stupid mistakes that change a life forever, well this almost did just that. Anyway, as I reached Dallin he screamed "MOM LOOK". I turned around to see the stroller 30 feet away from me going full throttle down steelply sloped parking lot. I screamed and screamed, and started booking it. All these horrible thoughts went through my mind in the few seconds I was running (okay sprinting). THe stroller was heading right for a trailer with it's ramp down, oh my gosh is this really happening. People say that when you have an adrenaline rush that miracles can occur... well I am a believer now. I dont know how on earth I was able to run fast enough to catch the stroller carrying my precious little girl that was going faster than I knew a stroller could go and was already a good 50 feet ahead of me. But I did. I caught up. When my hand touched that stroller my life changed in that instant. It was inches (no exaggeration) from that trailer, and I turned my hand so the stroller would swerve out of the way. THe only thing I could do in that moment was fall to the ground and just cry. I cried for a good couple of minutes, poor Dallin was still at the top of the hill with his bike wondering what the heck just happened. My little hero. I dont know what I would have done if he hadn't seen the stroller take off.

I am still trying to wrap my brain around the whole event. I honestly think it should have been impossible for me to catch up to the stroller. I am not a fast runner, the hill was too steep, it was already 30 or so feet ahead of me... how did I do it? Why didn't I just put the brake on when I went to go get Dallin? What would have happend to Claire if she would have hit that trailer? I cant even begin to think about that. I am grateful I dont have to. Our family was truly blessed today. My little angel sleeps peacefully in her crib right now, instead of at the hospital. Wow.

7 comments:

Becca Jane said...

Wow Ash, my adrenaline was rushing just reading that! I'm so glad it turned out okay... What a scary moment, I can't imagine! I'm glad you were able to reach her.

Foster Mom said...

HOLY COW!! That is so scary!!! I'm so sorry you had that happen to you. Crap.

Amanda said...

You are an amazing mom that's for sure. But your right we all do little things that we don't even second guess.... but don't forget how amazing you are. Your kids are so lucky to have you. I'm so glad you BOTH are okay.

rachel june* said...

so, SO freaky! could've been a horrifying story. glad it turned into a miracle instead.

Jen Lee said...

What a good big brother to be watching out for his sister. What a blessing that everything and everyone is okay. You are an incredible mom!

The Spicers said...

Thank heavens for miracles and little angels!!!!

Lloyd Family said...

Oh my goodness. That is terrifying. What a blessing that you were able to catch little Claire. I hope you are ok... things like that can take quite awhile to calm down after. xoxoxo!