Sunday, May 23, 2010

Claire's Surgery

After 5 ear infections, and 4 different types of antibiotics in less than 3 months, the doctors decided it would be best to put typanostomy tubes in Claire's ears. I didn't hesitate for one second... my poor baby has been suffering for months now. Plus with all the fluid built up behind the ears, it tends to muffle sounds, delay speech and affect the equilibrium. Oh great, that is just what my 11 month old needs to be experiencing right now during probably one of the most crucial developmental times in her life.... no brainer. Anyway, we got the surgery scheduled right away and we went in on Friday. We had to be there at 6:30, Claire was a bit sleepy but cute and content as usual. She got checked out by the nurse practitioner (by the way Claire is traumatized for life after going to the doctor so often and needing wax dug out of her ear, antibiotic shots, etc.) and then we waited in the waiting room for a bit to see the doctor and the anestesiologist. They called her name about 7:45 and I walked her back to the "red line" and handed her off. She was so good, went right to the anestesiologist no problem. So I was just getting comfortable eating my donut in the waiting room when they came out to say they were almost finsished. Huh? It's only been like 15 minutues. It was true, they were in and out of there, super fast. The Doctor came out a few minutes later to tell me the surgery went great. They drained the fluid that was there and she was good to go! Yeah!! I know it was a minor surgery, but that doesn't make it any easier on mom! A few minutes later they let me go back to see her in recovery. She was just chillin with the nurse, no big deal.. it's not like she didn't just come out of anestesia!! The nurse couldn't believe how quickly she came out of it and just sat up in the crib and started babbling. That's my Claire for ya! We hung out in recovery for about an hour, made sure she could drink and hold it down and then we were out of there. 9:00 baby! It was smooth sailing, and I am grateful for that!! She has been overall pretty good since, the nights have been a bit rough, she has woken up in the night screaming, so she must still be in a bit of pain. Hopefully a few more days and she will be 100%!

She looked so cute in her little hospital garb. (minus the fact she could so pass for a boy here)

Waiting for her turn to go back... looking a little sleepy wouldn't ya say?

All fixed up!! This was later on in the day, and is probably the cutest picture ever. She was so proud cuz she was able to get my necklace around her neck! Love this girl.

5 comments:

Lloyd Family said...

She'll probably be a whole new kid now!!! That last picture of Caire is so adorable I can't even stand it! :)

rachel june* said...

what a trooper!!! if your serious, I'll take pictures for ya. And hello, no charge!

Anonymous said...

I hope the tubes help! She looks like she is pretty happy and bubbly:) And all that cuteness!

Jeni Jo said...

Non of my kids had to get tubes, but I have heard it is like night and day. Glad everything went well.

The Lyon Den said...

SO glad she is doing well. She is such a sweetie! I love her!