Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Finally, an answer!

Well for the last few months I have been frustrated because I suddenly stopped having my period.. (too much information?) Anyway, I took many pregnancy tests to be sure I was not pregnant, but they were all negative. I finally got into my OB/GYN a few days ago, and she ran a bunch of blood work to see if she could find any problems. I got a call today and found out that my thyroid levels were WAY high. The normal range is from about .3 to 3, and mine was 8.5! They said I have HYPOTHYROIDISM, which is a disease where thy thyroid gland does not produce enough hormones, resulting in fatigue, weight gain and irregular periods. I had been feeling yucky for some time, and even before my periods were irregular I contemplated getting a check up anyway to see what was wrong with me. I feel really relieved because it has been a stressful few months trying to figure out what was going on with my body. I am going in next week to get the full thyroid work up, and she should prescribe me some medication that I will have to take the rest of my life. Oh well, atleast it is manageable! Hopefully everything comes back okay next week, and I dont have some tumor or something. Thanks for listening to my saga!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm glad they finally figured it out! I didn't even think of that, but I had those test done before I got prego to see why my period wasn't starting! Hope it gets back to normal quickly!!

Meghan Hendrix said...

I'm glad they were able to figure it out, and that it wasn't anything too serious. Keep me posted on how the rest of the tests go....

Becca Jane said...

I hope things are okay....is it going to affect you wanting to get pregnant soon??? Hopefully they'll help you out and you'll start to feel better. Its hard having no energy when you have a toddler to chase!!

Kip and Lindsay said...

I'm so sorry Ash! That is a bummer, but hopefully it will make you feel better! :0)

theminerfamily said...

Wow Ash! I had noticed you wearing your thyroid shield more lately! I hope all works out. Larry asked me today about my Father in law (the endocrinologist) in regards to you. We'll have to chat tomorrow!

The Green's said...

Ash I am so sorry to hear that! What not a fun thing. I hope you are doing better and everything is okay. Keep us posted.