Sunday, April 20, 2008

What in the world just happened

Well last night I had to do something that I didnt think I would have to do for a while... I took down Dallin's crib. That is right, at 9:00 at night I was upstairs disassembling his crib because he decided that he was going to climb out every time he was in it. I knew the time was coming, but thought I could have some time to mentally prepare myself. I know that might sounds strange, but it is a big step, and you never know how your child will react to it. So here is how the night played out:

8:00 Brushed Dallin's teeth, said goodnight to the friends we had over
8:15 Layed Dallin down (he was very upset and not ready for bed at all, but he didnt nap well)
8:17 I was down stairs enjoying the Jazz game with our friends when my little man came crawling down the stairs. I was SHOCKED. He had climbed out one time before, but it had been a few days so I thought I was in the clear.
8:20-9:30 Jenny and Lacy helped me come up with a game plan. We thought I could just take down the rail on the crib so he could climb in and out. I was too nervous having him getting out of his crib all the time. When we tried to take the rail off, the whole thing collapsed. That is when I decided that I was going to take the whole thing down. Luckily, we had a twin bed already, so I just drug the matress and layed it on the floor. Dallin thought it was the coolest thing ever, so for one second I thought it might be an easy transition.
9:30 Andy and I went upstairs and layed with Dallin on the floor. We sang a few songs and then told him it was time to go to sleep in his big boy bed. We left, and I put the baby gate in the doorway so he could not get out. I figured he would cry at the gate for a while, but eventually he would go lay in his bed
9:33 I was downstairs enjoying the jazz game when.. (doesnt this sound familiar) my little man comes crawling down the stairs... YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. How in the world? I guess if he can climb out of a crib he can climb over a gate. I was freaking out thinking, what am I going to do. I dont have a crib set up, he can climb over the gate and he can open doors.
9:40 I went a layed down with Dallin again. After a few minutes I left, closed the door, and did one of the hardest things a mother could do... stood at the door holding the knob so he could not open it. He was SCREAMING and it was sooo sad. Then, a miracle occurred. After only about 5 minutes of crying at the door, it stopped. Yup, my cutie pie went and layed down in his "big boy bed" and fell asleep. AMAZING. He slept until 5 without a peep, so I would say that it was overall, a good night. So, until tonight.....

1 comments:

KRISTINA said...

OMG you knew it was coming. But... maybe it is a good thing. You don't have to worry about a crib tent like me and by the time another sylvia comes he will have his big boy bed and his sister gets the crib. (Hee hee. I am wishing for a girl in your future to play with avrie.) Nice job though I am jealous. I am also so nervous for our day like that.